Experienced Immigration Attorney - Marlene F. Gonzalez

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

If you have experienced abuse as a spouse, child, or parent of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may be able to apply for an immigrant visa under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) for yourself – without your abuser’s knowledge. This key amendment to the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) is meant to help battered men, women, and children seek safety and independence. 

Please note: help is also available from the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233. If you believe you are in immediate danger, do not hesitate to call 911.

You may be able to remain in the U.S. by independently filing for an immigrant visa under VAWA. Attorney Marlene Gonzalez can help you, using extensive experience in immigration law to help you navigate the application process, provide the necessary supporting documentation, and obtain your approval. Once your petition is approved, you can live and work in the U.S. Your children may also be included in your petition. 

To learn more about VAWA and whether it may apply to your situation, call us at (801) 746-4880.

Applying for an Immigrant Visa Under VAWA

To apply for an immigrant visa under VAWA, you must complete and file Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant, along with supporting documentation, with the Vermont Service Center of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you meet all filing requirements, you’ll receive a notice that is valid for 150 days, which you can present to government agencies that provide benefits and support to victims of domestic violence. Once your petition is formally approved, you may be eligible to apply for a green card (permanent resident status). 

For more information and guidance, call 1-833-VISA-4-US to speak with Attorney Marlene Gonzalez. She has a reputation for success in VAWA petitions.

Call us now at 1-833-VISA-4-US for helpwith your change of status application.